21 May 2011

China & Taiwan 'first joint dictionary' BBC article

I found this article by Cindy Sui (BBC News Taipei) very interesting. Basically it's about how Mandarin Chinese is evolving separately in Taiwan and the mainland, over the last 60 years, and how different the two are becoming:



Also, of course, Taiwan and Hong Kong use Traditional characters and the Mainland uses Simplified characters: the article shows the examples below: 



Apparently "40 million non-Chinese nationals are learning simplified characters... 
and 30 million people use traditional characters daily" -Wow!
This bit amused me too:- "I don't really like to write Chinese characters; it's very tiring," said eight-year-old Lee Mi.
LOL I know what you mean kid, it takes me ages to write in Chinese too :)


No comments:

Tones - the little numbers on this blog

Cantonese has six tones, we use numbers after each word to identify them
1 = High Falling - as in King
2 = Mid-rising - you??
3 = Mid-level - boon3 (half)
4 = Low Falling - kingdom
5 = Low-rising - ngoh5 (I, me)
6 = Low-level - ngoh5 dei6 (we) sounds like day

alas they're very important, see: